Monday, August 22, 2011

Creative Time!!!

Flower Balls!!!
These are hanging from Kate's ceiling
(Azalea Blooms)

I made these a few years ago when Kate graduated from her baby room to a big girl room!
They are super easy, fun, and makes a great bedroom accessory!!



I am making a new set of three. Pictured above is the Large Flower Ball. 6 in styrofoam with Large bloom peonie flowers.


It's pretty big, this is my oldest, Katelyn. Gives you an idea of the size

Supplies
1 continous roll or 2-3 yards of grosgrain ribbon (depending on your length preference)
3 nails, tacks or screw
3 screws-to screw the ribbon into the top of the ball
hot glue gun/hot glue sticks
scissors
hammer or screwdriver
pliers
3 different size styrofoam balls- 6 in ball, 5 in ball, 4 in ball.
2 bushes of large blooms for each ball. I used peonies. For a total of 6

Note: you can use smaller blooms and different flowers. Use your judgement on how many bushes you'll need.  You could also do them all large, all small, or all medium....whatever you like.

Tip-I get these items at Hobby Lobby! The flower bushes go on sale 50% off- so wait and buy them then! I suggest using smaller to medium blooms in Daisies, Roses, Azaleas, or peonies. 

Directions:
1) Take off all flowers, using pliers so you can cut the flower off while leaving part of the stem on it.
2) Do one ball at time. Poke a hole into the ball with the stem, fill the hole with glue and stick the stem back in the hole
3) Repeat this for each ball and Glue the flowers close enough so the styrofoam isn't seen.
4) At the top, screw in the ribbon then put glue around that to keep the screw secure in the styrofoam.
5) Allow time for them to dry
6) Then chose a spot in the room and hang your new flower balls from the ceiling in 3 different heights.  7)Secure the opposite end of the ribbon to the ceiling with either a nail, tack or screw.

All Done!!!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I painted this for Katelyn's bedroom a few years ago, my inspiration was from wall art that I saw in the PB kids magazine! I believe it was $79...I already had the paint, I just bought the canvas. If I remember correctly it was done for under $15! :)

Tips: Draw your image on the canvas with a pencil first. Then paint! Use colors/theme that coordinates with your childs room! If you are not a good artist, they have all kinds of craft stencils at your local craft stores!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personalize a playroom, or bedroom with a canvas wrapped picture of your family/kids!

Last year, we went to the Parade of homes, and one of the staged kids room had a huge picture on canvas positioned above the baby's bed. It was darling! There was another one in the hallway of this same baby when he was a little older.  He was wearing a sweater material stripped hat- it looked so, so cute!!
I just loved the idea so I decided to do it in my home as well.  When it comes to this, I have connections....my husband works for a label/printing company. :)
I bought canvas's, gave a memory card with the pictures to him, and the company he works for printed and wrapped these pictures onto the canvas! Cool huh!?
If your interested let me know and I'll get pricing for you!  I suggest a Matte finish instead of Glossy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment